Sometime this season, I started posting a series of postgame notes on Twitter. They are not so much game analysis as takeaways from the game experience. These were posted last night after the loss to Sharta to end the 2016 NPSL campaign.
1. Hamtramck Reserve Police, the ones who have been running traffic and such all season, are fantastic. We owe them pizza.
2. I’m incredibly impressed by how our club can’t count. There was not 1,000 fewer people than the opener. 500, sure.
3. Re: season/team performance. Meh. Still, I’d take that particular Open Cup win over a first round playoff loss any day.
4. Our region was a LOT better than we expected this year. So we need to learn and grow and not underestimate next year. I’ll give 2016/NPSL a pass with Keyworth and Open cup, but no excuses next year.
5. Despite the results, our boys gave their all, every match. No shame. Every guy on our roster has earned their place.
6. I’m incredibly grateful for our club. There is room for growth, yes, but what we have built together is incredible.
7. The charities the club supports are all lovely, local things that do good and make my heart proud. Keep it up.
8. Tonight’s half time was special. NGS. I was WEEPING when we did the high five line. Your love and support for everyone means so, so much.
9. And NGS, the way folks have been accepted, joined in, and found their place in the section is beautiful.
10. You truly do not know how much of an honor it is to be in front of you. And yeah, I’m happy crying right now typing this. Deal.
11. What we have all built, together, continues to defy expectations and find room for more people. Keep. it. Up.
12. To my beloved South Section. My goodness. You are beautiful and your passion inspires me every minute of the match.
13. To @. You capoed the Dirty South with brilliance tonight. Honored to have you on a ladder next to me.
16. Now. July 27 is coming. Our boys will be out there playing for us. We have them to sing for. I hope you will join me. I’ll be there.
17. Remember. Every one of you. You matter. I love you. Honestly. We are family. # see you soon.